Position: Director of Development
Organization: Rescue Now www.RescueNow.com.ua
Reporting to: President, Chicago, IL
Salary: $85,000 - $90,000 commensurate with experience
Rescue Now is a modern startup in the world of non-profits. We are looking for a soulmate to help us with our partnerships in the US as we have recently received our 501(c)3 non-profit status.
Rescue Now is an international foundation created by Ukrainians in the first days of the Russian invasion. We have saved more than 300,000 people during the war in Ukraine by evacuating, providing humanitarian aid, and helping volunteers to be more effective. During the first year of operation, we have grown from three volunteers in Ukraine to becoming a 501c3 organization in the US and a team of 100. We have partnered with UNICEF, USAID, UN, Amazon, Pentagram, Epam and have earned our Platinum Seal on GuideStar. We were featured on the BBC, in The Atlantic, Newsweek, and dozens of other publications, including those from the biggest Ukrainian ambassador Professor Timothy Snyder of Yale University. The team consists of highly motivated people from business and tech–entrepreneurs, IT specialists, marketers, and creatives.
Our projects now range from a chain of spaces for psycho-emotional support for children to a non-profit incubator where organizations learn how to become sustainable and receive grants for their projects. Our goal is to restore dignity to civilian Ukrainians who have suffered from a full-scale war. We aim to triple in distributed donations and the amount of help within the next year.
Rescue Now seeks an experienced development professional to become our inaugural US team member and elevate our fundraising capabilities. In this critical role, you will be at the forefront of our aggressive growth strategy, orchestrating a fundraising campaign with the ambitious goal of securing $12 million over the next three years. Your focus will be on expanding our donor base, nurturing significant gifts from individuals, businesses, and foundations, and innovating new revenue-generating strategies.
This role is pivotal to scaling our impact through strategic fundraising leadership. You will have the opportunity to build and lead a dynamic fundraising team in the US and will work in close partnership with the President to achieve these goals. The Ukrainian development team will give technical and administrative support to the US Director of Development.
• Maintain and grow Rescue Now’s current philanthropic portfolio of mid-size foundations and businesses through strong stewardship and communication.
• Develop and execute a strategy for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major individual gift prospects, to include the use of events of various sizes.
• Oversee all development activities in the US including donor research, identifying new major individual gift prospects, and communication activities involving proposal writing, reporting requirements, and solicitation – in partnership with the President.
• Work closely across various organizational departments in the United States and Ukraine to prepare donor materials and reports, and coordinate site visits on occasion.
• Ensure existing processes and communications address fundraising priorities to the greatest extent possible, collaborating with the Executive Director.
• Manage and oversee communication records, donor research and reporting requirements for current and prospective funding partners. We use Pipedrive for donor management.
• Prepare briefing materials and guidance to the President on major individual gift prospects to maximize the likelihood of successful partnership.
• Oversee all donor diligence, reporting and evaluation efforts to ensure compliance with grant-maker and sponsor agreements.
Skills, Abilities & Experience Required:
• BS or BA degree preferred but not required.
• 5-10 years of professional development/fundraising experience with a significant background in individual major gifts and foundations of all sizes.
• Deep knowledge and understanding of international organizations.
• Proven experience cultivating high-net-worth individuals, especially in a ‘start from scratch’ environment.
• Proven success at achieving fundraising goals including cultivating, soliciting and closing major gifts.
• Experience managing a diverse portfolio of major gift prospects to be approached for annual gifts.
• Experience building fundraising systems and processes to achieve funding growth.
• Exceptional organizational and time-management skills.
• Strong strategic, problem-solving and analytical skills.
• Ability to train, develop and lead staff.
• Dedicated to and passionate about the mission of Rescue Now.
• Marketing/communication experience is a plus.
Location and Travel:
• Willingness to travel up to 10-20% of the year to domestic/international conferences.
• This position is fully remote. We use Slack, Zoom, Asana, Pipedrive and other modern tools to make our remote communication smooth.
Values we look for in people:
• “Nothing is impossible” mindset. We have no closed doors and no unreachable people. The sky is not the limit.
• Giver – we believe that you will receive more if you give. People with a ‘taking’ mindset do not fit our team.
• Confrontational – there is no point in arguing just for the sake of arguing, but if you have a strong opinion, you should defend it.
• Beginner’s attitude – we grow through learning and teaching each other. If you think you are already the best, we won’t get along.
• Results-oriented - we don't care what you were doing, we care what you actually did and what results it has brought.
Start Date: As soon as possible.