The Development Director assists the Area Development Director (ADD) in the implementation of action plans developed with the national office; reaches fundraising targets to support the thirty-seven (37) UNCF member institutions and serves as an ambassador for UNCF, by engaging donors and leveraging relationships to meet revenue goals. The Development Director submits solicitations and conducts other fundraising activities to maintain a high level of public awareness, regarding the importance of philanthropic donations, to support and further the mission of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist the ADD in securing new sources of revenue from events, grants, major gifts, individuals, local community partners, foundations, corporations and other campaigns. A significant proportion of donations raised must be unrestricted funds.
- Assist the ADD in execution of fundraising strategy, including taking the lead on some campaigns and designing new ones.
- Maintain timely and consistent contact with current and potential donors in order to establish, sustain and enhance repeated and upgraded gifts.
- Develop and submit proposals and design and implement special fund-raising events.
- Establish guidelines and implementation procedures for special events.
- Write fundraising correspondence, letters of acknowledgment and appeals and maintain a regular schedule of in-person visits with foundations, donors and board members.
- Assist in identifying, recruiting and training volunteers, campaign leaders, Advisory Board members and other needed resources who are representatives of all segments of a given community.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of campaign committee meetings and the development of the campaign calendar.
- Establish and manage relations with volunteers, conducting initial orientation, outlining goals and objectives for each committee.
- Train and monitor the progress of all volunteer activities, maintaining constant communication, written and oral, on a weekly basis leading to fundraising events.
- Compile and maintain a volunteer bank consisting of active and new volunteers.
- Cultivate volunteers and stimulate their involvement by continuous contact throughout the year.
- Assist and distribute campaign materials and develop communication and promotional programs in support of local fundraising efforts.
- Maintain current and accurate files on all donors.
- Manage and review monthly reports to include major donors and prospects, office visitations, recaps of meetings, projections and missing gifts.
- Generate queries, reports, exports and other collection data as needed.
- Assist in managing the area office to ensure compliance with organization policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
May directly supervise an administrative assistant. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
A Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university and at least 5-7 years experience in fund-raising, marketing or public relations.
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Raisers' Edge experience preferred, not required.
Other Skills and Abilities
Ability to conduct major fund-raising activities, including capital campaigns and annual giving drives; ability to think critically and communicate clearly; excellent organizational skills; outstanding human relations and managerial aptitude; demonstrated initiative and ability to work and meet deadlines with minimal supervision; exceptional responsiveness and a capability to thrive in a fast paced environment.
Ability to travel locally and nationally.
The United Negro College Fund (UNCF), the nation’s largest and most effective minority education organization, has been an engine of minority educational achievement for more than 70 years. UNCF’s mission is to build a robust and nationally recognized pipeline of black students who, because of UNCF support, become highly qualified college graduates. UNCF is committed to closing the educational attainment gap between African Americans and other populations by increasing postsecondary access and success for students from underrepresented groups, particularly low-income and first-generation students.
Compensation and Benefits
Medical, Dental & Vision
Vacation, Sick & Personal Leave
Life Insurance (Basic & Optional)
Flex Spending Accounts
403(b) Retirement Account
Holiday Savings Plan
Salary Range: $$80,000.00 - $90,000.00 commensurate with experience - hybrid work schedule.
UNCF is EOE M/F/D/V
For More Information, Visit: workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=4e62b4af-f091-4c6e-808b-6107e3ea5d4b&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=441409&source=CC2&lang=en_US