Screening Program Regional Coordinator
Posted by: Sight Savers America
Posted date: June 28, 2022
Location: Birmingham, AL
Starting Salary: mid-$30k/annually
Sight Savers America
Sight Savers America is an Alabama-based 501(c) (3) nonprofit that was founded in 1997. Our mission is to identify and secure treatment for unmet vision and health needs that impede a child’s ability to reach their full potential in school and in life.
Our Screening Program builds partnerships between school systems and college nursing schools across Alabama to provide free head to toe school-based health screenings. Our Screening Program also provides vision screenings in areas of Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Texas.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Screening Program Regional Coordinator is responsible for planning and coordinating school-based health and vision screenings, in their designated region, for Alabama’s school children Pre-K through 12th grade. They will also be responsible for performing vision screenings in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and/or Texas. Each employee serving in the department will have the opportunity to help improve the eyesight, health, and overall quality of life for thousands of children each year.
- Coordinate all aspects of SSA Vision Screening and Health Screening events within designated region (Alabama)
- Travel to and from school or other vision screening event locations, including out of state, overnight travel, and early mornings
- Travel days account for approximately 50% of time during a typical school year
- Approximately 3-5 weeks of above mentioned travel time will be overnight, out of state travel
- Coordinate pre-event details with schools and nursing schools for each health screening event including: software demonstration for partnering nursing students, event setup, wireless setup, determination of computer hardware and medical supply needs, and our staffing plan
- Coordinate SSA Health Screening events on-site including: setting up medical equipment and technology, maintaining the flow of the event, troubleshooting technology, building strong rapport with our partners, and breaking down the event at the end of the day
- Conduct vision screenings using a portable vision screener (device and training provided)
- Consolidate, organize, and distribute health and vision screening results to participating schools/school nurses
- Generate and prepare vision referrals for Sight Savers America Case Specialists, including data entry into SSA database
- Generate referrals lists and documentation for outside screening partners
- Maintain inventory of medical and event supplies to ensure we are able to meet event needs
- Assist in case management of vision referrals as time allows, to include but not limited to: data entry, phone calls, and preparing letters.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Innovative and highly energetic with the ability to connect with people while maintaining professionalism
- Exercises strong judgment, loyalty, and honesty
- Team player who works well with others
- Ability to interact and relate to a diverse population of children and school professionals
- Represent organization in a first class manner in appearance, attitude, and behavior at all times
- Verbal and non-verbal communications demonstrate a positive attitude and respect for others
- Ability to write in a clear, concise, and error-free manner with attention to detail
- Ability to receive and apply coaching in a positive and appropriate manner
- Ability to work on multiple projects
- Ability to respond quickly and accurately to management requests
- Willing to be trained on basic technology troubleshooting
- Knowledge of standard office practices, procedures, and equipment
- A passion for service with a desire to make a difference in the lives of children
- BS or BA in related field strongly preferred.
- Must be able to lift and transport various medical equipment and supplies to events.
- Experience with and knowledge of computer operation; knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Experience working in a deadline driven environment is preferred.
- Experience working with children is preferred.
- Ability to maintain complete confidentiality.
- Ensure the safety and security of equipment at all times and report any problems to the Screening Program Associate Director.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of procedures and policies relevant to the position.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, and physical demands of personnel.
Although SSA has traditionally operated with staff working from our Pelham office (unless in the field for screenings), we have been utilizing a hybrid model since July 2021. Please note, Executive Leadership and your direct supervisor retain the right to call employees back to the office if the need arises.
SSA offers an excellent benefits package including: paid federal holidays (12 days), generous PTO, 401k contributions (10%) that do not require employee match, and employer paid medical insurance, life insurance, and longterm disability.
Interested individuals should email a cover letter with their resume to:
Laurie S. Carey
Associate Director, Screening Program
Sight Savers America
337 Business Circle
Pelham, AL 35124