Job Title: Director of Development
Status: Regular, full-time, exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
ORGANIZATION AND MISSION
Literacy Connects’ mission is to connect people of all ages to a world of opportunities through literacy and creativity. Now celebrating its 10th anniversary of serving the Greater Tucson community, award-winning Literacy Connects positively impacts and inspires more than 46,000 individuals annually through partnerships with schools, pediatric clinics, libraries, adult education centers, and refugee centers. Led by a passionate and entrepreneurial new Executive Director, Literacy Connects is the premier literacy organization in Southern Arizona through inventive programming, strong volunteer leadership, and staff excellence. We are committed to providing access and equity to all individuals, regardless of background or immigration status.
The Director of Development will play a crucial role in ensuring Literacy Connects’ success as the organization begins its second decade. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development will create and execute a comprehensive fund development plan that provides approximately 80% of Literacy Connects’ $2.4M budget. The Director of Development supervises a 3-member team (Development Associate, Grants Manager, Grants Associate) that is expected to increase. They will be a member of the Literacy Connects Management Team which collaborates on the strategic and tactical decisions of the organization.
• Serve as an executive-level leader working closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors
• Manage all aspects of the organization’s fundraising strategies, including major gifts, foundation and corporate giving, annual giving, planned giving and special events
• Responsible for managing a portfolio of 50-75 major donor relationships; facilitate donor portfolios for Executive Director, senior staff and Board members
• Lead, supervise and nurture a growing development team
• Coordinate with the Executive Director and finance staff in developing the annual operating budget; responsible for managing the Development Department’s budget
• Partner with the marketing team to oversee the production of traditional and digital fund development communications across a broad array of channels to promote organizational impact and encourage financial support
• Represent Literacy Connects in the community, serving as an ambassador at mission-related events, conferences, and meetings
• Maintain current knowledge of fundraising best practices and share knowledge with staff
• Entrepreneurial professional with a successful track record of eight to ten years of experience in nonprofit fundraising, including major gifts and planned giving
• Excellent team leadership skills, including hiring, coaching, developing staff and fostering a positive, collaborative environment
• Demonstrated success in working with Board members and volunteers
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including experience with traditional and digital formats
• Proven project planning, project management, and budgeting skills
• High level of integrity, diplomacy, maturity, and accountability
• Strong commitment to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Lifelong learner
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, Google Suite and donor database software; knowledge of DonorPerfect a plus
• Bachelor’s degree; bilingual Spanish a plus
• Enthusiasm, energy, and alignment with the mission of Literacy Connects
Literacy Connects offers a competitive salary ($75,000-$95,000) based on education, experience, and ASU Lodestar Non-Profit Salary Guidelines, and a competitive benefits package. Ability to provide own transportation to meet with donors and attend employer-related functions. Occasional weekend and evening hours will be required.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to HumanResources@literacyconnects.org.
Review of applications will begin October 1, 2021.
EQUITY, INCLUSION AND DIVERSITY STATEMENT
As an organization that values equity and social justice, Literacy Connects strives to be a place where all feel welcome, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. We work to champion social justice initiatives
and advocate for our community, and to continue to grow as an organization and individuals. It is our diverse community that makes us who we are, and we stand against any and all discrimination, racism, and hatred.
Literacy Connects is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits employment (be it by a volunteer or paid staff) discrimination based on race, color, sex, marital or familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, national origin, ancestry, or disability.
For More Information, Visit: www.literacyconnects.org