POLICY ADVISOR, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
WESTERN RESOURCE ADVOCATES
|| All Region - West I (AZ CO ID MT NM NV UT WY)
||$60,000/Yr - to - $80,000/Yr
||Aug 17, 2021
||Mid Career (2+ Years Experience)
||No Experience Required
Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is seeking an influential and process-oriented advocate to join our Strategy and Equity team as a Policy Advisor, Equity and Inclusion. The Policy Advisor will play a significant role to ensure that conservation objectives equitably reach communities in the Intermountain West, particularly those communities that have been disproportionally impacted by pollution and the climate crisis. Advancing diversity, equity and inclusion is central to Western Resource Advocates’ three-year strategic plan. The policies in which WRA advocates for must not perpetuate inequities in environmental policy, and should serve as an important vehicle for advancing equity in conservation. The Policy Advisor will report to the Vice President for Strategy and Equity (VPSE), and is responsible for contributing to advancing equity within WRA’s policy, advocacy and partnership practices. This position provides an opportunity to make critical contributions to equitable conservation policy as a key advisor to organizational leadership and policy teams.
The Policy Advisor will work closely with the VPSE, the Government Affairs (GA) Director and GA managers, the Indigenous Peoples Engagement Manager, and Communications team to identify policy interests and desired outcomes of impacted communities and representative groups, especially Indigenous, Latinx, Black and People of Color communities. The Policy Advisor will work with the VPSE, in consultation with the Vice President of Policy and Programs (VPPP) and the program teams to integrate equity into WRA’s policy agenda. This role serves as partner, catalyst, and resource to infuse diversity, equity and inclusion values in WRA policy, outreach, campaigns and outcomes.
This position has the option to work from one of WRA’s six offices. Flexible work arrangements are available, with the option to work remotely two-three days a week. WRA has offices located in Boulder, CO; Denver, CO; Salt Lake City, UT; Phoenix, AZ; Santa Fe, NM; and Carson City, NV. Remote working options within the seven-state region may be considered under certain circumstances. Our seven-state region includes Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. WRA employees are strongly encouraged to work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
- Works with VPSE to develop and apply equity framework to policy decision-making process, with equity integrated in conservation policies through the span of WRA’s strategic plan.
- Captures and documents policy processes for identifying and integrating equity and equitable impact.
- Sources equity data, demographics, other related data categories that inform overall equity and policy work; includes helping to build equity/policy data capacity in the long term.
- Acts as internal consultant with program staff to identify specific data needs; project manage program data needs that helps program integrate equity data.
- Works with VPSE to develop equity goals for program work, in consultation to the VPPP and programs teams; recommends tracking and measurement for equity goals under the WRA strategic plan.
- Works with VPSE and Government Affairs to identify approach and strategy with potential partners, impacted communities and other diverse constituents.
- Recommends and implements partnership approaches for policy staff to facilitate equity outcomes.
- Keeps current with diversity, equity, and inclusion trends and best practices to identify emerging opportunities for integration into policy and partnership engagement campaigns.
- Demonstrated understanding of and passion for diversity, equity, inclusion and justice issues in policy and advocacy programs.
- Understanding of and experience in process mapping, development and documentation.
- Confidence in challenging and testing existing practices and business assumptions.
- Fluency in data management and data analysis.
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal, social) related to internal change management.
- Experience in project management, project leadership, and working in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to break down strategies or initiatives into key tasks and identify accountabilities.
- Knowledge of advocacy and public affairs campaigns, and a demonstrated passion for advocacy.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
This section is made up of skills that a candidate may come in with, and if not, may be trained on the job. They are not required and candidates who do not possess these skills yet, should not be discouraged from applying.
- Knowledge of state and local policies around conservation in the Intermountain West, including climate, renewable energy, rivers, water quality, air quality, land use, transportation or sustainable communities.
- Professional proficiency in Spanish or Indigenous languages of the Intermountain West.
For More Information, Visit: westernresourceadvocates.org/careers/policy-advisor-equity-inclusion/
|HOW TO APPLY
|To prevent spam, free registration is required in order to view job application information on Nonprofit Careers. If you've already registered, login to view details.
Register/Login View More Jobs