The Director of Development will create and oversee the implementation a comprehensive annual development strategy and oversee all development functions for fundraising and stewardship for Railroad Park Foundation (RRPF). This strategy will include major gifts, corporate donations/sponsorships, in-kind resources, membership, annual giving, online giving, grant requests and reporting, special event fundraising, volunteers, board engagement and donor/investor stewardship.
The successful candidate will have a bachelor's degree and a minimum of 3 to 5 years experience in face-to-face solicitation and closing of major gifts, first-hand knowledge of the donor/investor cultivation and stewardship process, experience with membership and/or annual giving programs, grant-writing expertise, and proven success managing and working with a team. This position requires frequent out of the office visits with both top prospects and existing investors/donors. Candidates should be highly self-motivated, and they should be passionate about Railroad Park. Candidates must have strong organizational, interpersonal and communications skills, as well as the ability to prepare dynamic written and oral presentations.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary, excellent benefits, schedule flexibility, dedicated team members, and a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Please send resume and cover letter outlining experience and qualifications via email to search consultant Melva Tate at: firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Development in the subject line.
Plan Development Strategy & Activities
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to create a development plan which increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Motivate Board members to identify prospects and be “door openers”; work with volunteers, Board and Junior Board members to set and meet fundraising goals
- In conjunction with Executive Director and RRPF Development Team, create and implement annual coordinated and comprehensive solicitation plan to include direct mail solicitations, e-campaigns, grants, major gift solicitations, special events and volunteer-driven fundraising efforts in order to meet annual budgeted goals for the organization
Organize & Lead Fund Development
- Collaboratively lead the Development Team; current staff includes one full-time Senior Development Specialist, one full-time Special Projects Coordinator, and one contract-basis grant writer (part-time)
- Identify, cultivate and solicit new individual gifts for RRPF; maintain portfolio of 150-200 major donor/investor prospects; foster relationships with donors/investors and members through personal visits and communications; build pipeline of future major gift donors/investors
- Solicit and maintain high-level corporate sponsors by developing year-round business and cultivation plans ensuring superior customer relations; manage event sponsorships in coordination with Director of Events
- With Development Team, develop and implement comprehensive membership, annual giving and annual fund fundraising goals, objectives and plans, including retention and upgrade of current donors and members and recruiting new donors/members
- Implement fundraising strategy for annual special event
- Oversee grants strategy as well as preparation and submission of grant applications and reports
- Manage the Development Committee of the Board of Directors
- Prepare regular reports on fundraising progress
Direct First-Class Donor/Investor Stewardship
- Arrange for key donor/investor stewardship visits with Executive Director
- Lead Development Team to ensure timely and accurate report deliveries to funders/investors, including pledge reminders, thank-you letters, and grant reports
- With Development Team, oversee the administration of a donor/investor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor/investor information
- Plan and implement donor cultivation and stewardship events
- In conjunction with RRPF’s marketing team & Executive Director, coordinate the content and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts – including the annual report
- Collaborate with other Development Team members to manage the donation email inbox
Promote the Organization
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization
- Maintain good working relationships with City Hall employees; attend City Hall meetings as needed with Executive Director
- Foster an understanding of philanthropy within the organization, including among Board & Junior Board members
- Along with all RRPF team members, assist with signature Railroad Park Foundation events including but not limited to: Picnic with Railroad Park, Get Healthy on the Railroad, and Financial Forums
- Assist marketing/PR team with organizational communications and social media, especially related to philanthropic initiatives
- Along with all RRPF team members, assist with greeting visitors to Railroad Park Foundation office, as well as assist with answering Railroad Park Foundation phones and checking voice mail
- Continue personal professional development through trainings, conferences, seminars, etc.
- Network with other professionals and potential clients in Birmingham through professional organizations, etc.
- Other duties as assigned, including assist the Executive Director with various projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred
- At least 3-5 years experience with a non-profit organization in a fundraising position; proven track record in individual and corporate fundraising
- Proven supervisory success
- Superior organization skills, including detail management, prioritization, and follow-through
- Ability to apply sound judgment and problem-solving skills to conflicts and challenges
- Skill in making presentations to large and small audiences
- Speak, listen and write in a clear and thorough manner using effective communication tools and techniques
- Excellent people skills: ability to work with management, board, staff, program participants, elected officials, civil servants, donors/investors, park visitors, volunteers, and professionals within the community in order to secure their support and cooperation
- Knowledge of Birmingham community
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suites and donor/investor management software; working knowledge of Donor Perfect software is an asset
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- A comprehensive individual (with family option) health & dental plan
- Option to participate in individual (with family option) vision plan
- SEP IRA
- Some schedule flexibility
- Option to work from home two to three days per week
TO EXPRESS YOUR INTEREST:
TO APPLY, submit your cover letter and resume prior to June 15, 2021. Send via email to email@example.com with “Director of Development” in the subject line. ?
To ensure your resume is considered, PLEASE follow the submission process. And PLEASE – no direct emails or phone calls to Railroad Park staff. They are focused on the mission, while we’re focused on the Director of Development search. Thank you.