NATIONAL MANAGER, MEDIA RELATIONS (CHI #2021-38)
AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION
||Other / Not Listed|
||Feb 19, 2021
||Mid Career (2+ Years Experience)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a National Manager, Media Relations to join our incredible team in Chicago, IL. Working as a member of the Marketing & Communications Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for managing reactive and proactive media relations, the National Manager of Media Relations will secure media coverage for the American Lung Association and position the organization and Lung.org as the premier resource for lung health for the public and the news media. The manager serves as the gatekeeper for all incoming media requests at the national office, vetting media inquiries, arranging interviews with Lung Association leadership, volunteer medical spokespeople, staff experts, and volunteer storytellers, and securing national media exposure for the American Lung Association. The manager will provide support to the volunteer medical spokesperson program, including coordinating the annual media training and offering support and coaching as needed. Responsible for monitoring daily news coverage, the manager will flag sensitive issues daily and build nationwide media reports for internal and external audiences quarterly, annually, and as needed. In support of nationwide media strategies, this position will develop media materials for the Lung Association’s signature reports, campaigns, and events, including the development and review of national media materials and customizable template media materials for regional and local communications.
- Supports media relations activities at the American Lung Association and works proactively to secure media coverage of the organization in broadcast, print, and online.
- Serves as gatekeeper for incoming media requests, and vets and response to media requests in a timely manner, connecting media with appropriate and accurate information and resources.
- Build media reports for internal and external audiences annually, monthly, and as needed on campaigns, signature reports, and volunteer spokesperson engagement.
- Monitor and conduct in-depth review of daily media coverage for Lung Association and related lung health and healthy air news, and flag issues for the team.
- Write/edit/post press releases, press statements, OpEds, LTEs, and talking points.
- Shepherds media materials and organizational statements through the review process.
- Manage and cultivate media lists for distributions and targeted pitching.
- Manage the American Lung Association volunteer spokesperson program.
- Coordinates annual orientation and media training for national volunteer spokespeople.
- Collaborates with nationwide communicators to manage coordinated nationwide press outreach and offer template media materials and support as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or related field.
- Three to six years of media relations experience, preferably for an agency, nonprofit, or health organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good judgment and ability to work in a team environment.
- Eagerness and willingness to learn.
- Attention to detail and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Self-starter with a can-do attitude and excellent project management skills.
- Experience with Cision, TVeyes, and Microsoft applications such as Teams, Word, and Excel.
- Media advocacy experience a plus.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all employees must abstain from use tobacco in any form.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to (include the job title and the job number in the subject of the email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
For More Information, Visit: www.lung.org/
|HOW TO APPLY
|To prevent spam, free registration is required in order to view job application information on Nonprofit Careers. If you've already registered, login to view details.
Register/Login View More Jobs