Job Title: Director of Marketing & Communications
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: President, MSI United States
To Apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to MSI-US@mariestopes.org with “Director Marketing & Communications” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
MSI United States (MSI US) helps women and girls access contraception and safe abortion in 37 countries worldwide by building US support for MSI’s work through fundraising, digital engagement and earned media. MSI US supports the global MSI mission through campaigns that build the MSI brand, increase donations and engage key audiences to advance the sexual and reproductive rights of women and girls. Our efforts expand public understanding of why universal access to contraception and safe abortion are fundamental rights and essential building blocks of sustainable human development,
The MSI US marketing & communications team works closely with the President, Development Team and MSI’s corporate communications team in London to amplify our collective external relations efforts and ensure brand coherence. MSI-US is a registered US 501(C)(3) organization.
The Director of Marketing & Communications is a key role on the MSI US team, with responsibility for developing and implementing targeted marketing and communications strategies and creating compelling content to achieve our goals in the United States. S/he will be responsible for overseeing an exciting new chapter in building the MSI US brand, and overseeing our updated identity across all US marketing and communications channels and content. S/he will work guide and mentor our digital communications officer to plan and executive robust digital content and fundraising strategies. S/he will partner with the development team to craft creative and effective donor communications strategies and content to help achieve our ambitious fundraising goals. S/he will also align the organization internally around the brand and the correlated marketing and communications goals.
- Develop and implement a marketing and communications strategy that furthers MSI US brand awareness and fundraising goals.
- Oversee MSI US brand identity and content across all platforms and products, in close coordination with MSI US and global communications teams.
- Strategically grow the MSI US supporter base and work with the MSI US President and Development Team to convert supporters to donors.
- Serve as primary developer of communications calendar and high-profile stewardship collateral including but not limited to annual report, brochures, presentations and reports.
- Work with MSI US digital communications officer to develop and execute digital fundraising and communications plans and content.
- Work closely with MSI US President and Development Team to create donor communications materials.
- Work with MSI US development team to craft effective and consistent fundraising and donor stewardship language.
- Identify trends, monitors current events and/or influencers to create engagement and stewardship opportunities on topics related sexual and reproductive health.
- Work with MSI to develop compelling impact stories and pitch those stories to various media outlets.
- Oversee communications metrics and tracking to monitor content performance and inform content decision-making.
- Manage relationships and contracts with vendors and contractors, as needed.
- Support events and other special fundraising projects, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three to five years of leadership experience in a marketing and communications role in a fund-raising environment.
- Experience developing effective communications strategies and products that will drive and increase fundraising revenue.
- Record of developing strategic and creative approaches to donor communications and outreach.
- Experience integrating brand strategy both internally and externally.
- Experience working with the press and other related media outlets.
- Experience developing campaigns and leveraging different promotional avenues to support fundraising objectives.
- Minimum of eight years total experience in marketing and communications.
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred.
- Outstanding English writing skills for a variety of platforms and audiences.
- Strong creative vision for fundraising communications.
- Demonstrated capacity to write effectively and in the voice of others.
- Interest in and strong appreciation for digital communications and fundraising.
- Supervisory experience and strong mentorship skills.
- Organized and deadline oriented.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Professional and personable; must be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience working in the reproductive justice and/or international development sector.
- Passion for MSI US’ mission and unwavering support for women’s access to contraception and safe abortion.
- Good sense of humour.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and/or Canva.
MSI exists to provide women and girls with access to contraception and safe abortion so they can achieve their goals and dreams. We have an unwavering commitment to reproductive choice, and our team members do whatever it takes to ensure that every woman can choose when to have children. We also put our clients at the center of everything we do and offer each client personalized services based on her individual needs. Qualified candidates for this position will unwaveringly support and embrace our vision, values and mission.
Our dedicated professionals are enthusiastic, adaptable, empathetic and positive. They thrive in an atmosphere of dynamic challenges in their work, are personally motivated to succeed, and enjoy being part of a global team working to make a difference in women’s lives around the world. Confident, resourceful and action-oriented, our people are focused on delivering high-impact programs in collaboration with our donors to ensure our clients around the world receive the highest quality services.
Team Member Benefits
MSI-US is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and employee benefits, including 5 weeks annual leave, employer paid medical benefits, 403(b) retirement plan contribution, paid parental leave and a commuter subsidy program. We support a work-life balance and an individual’s desire to learn beyond the experience gained at work through both personal and professional development and growth opportunities.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to MSI-US@mariestopes.org with “Director Marketing & Communications” in the subject line. No phone calls please. We strongly suggest looking at our website and Medium publications to become familiar with our organization and mission.
For more information about MSI US, please visit our website at http://www.msi-us.org.
For More Information, Visit: mariestopes-us.org/