Job Title: Development Associate
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Director of Individual Philanthropy
MSI US promotes Marie Stopes International’s mission to provide sexual and reproductive healthcare to millions of underserved women around the world. MSI US works to advance international reproductive health and rights within this context. This position’s primary responsibilities will be to further MSI’s mission through supporting the individual and institutional philanthropy program and helping to build the base of US major donors.
MSI US is seeking an experienced and talented development professional to support a comprehensive development strategy that attracts and engages high net worth individual donors (HNWI) in alignment with our organizational goals and plans. The Development Associate will play a critical role in supporting the major gifts program and will be involved in all aspects of MSI-US’s individual philanthropy efforts. The right candidate will demonstrate a capacity to assist in the management of a dynamic base of donors and prospects with skill and energy. The position will report to the Director of Individual Philanthropy and work closely with other team members who contribute to the overall fundraising goals of the organization.
- Support the Director of Individual Philanthropy in executing the major donor development work plan
- Support activities related to major donor identification and research, cultivation, solicitation, gift acknowledgement, and strategic stewardship
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date information on major donors and prospects in the CRM system to enable efficient donor and prospect management and reporting
- Prepare written materials including donor profiles and meeting briefs; cultivation event materials; donor correspondence; proposals and stewardship reports
- Work in collaboration with the development team to align the individual philanthropy program with broader MSI-US fundraising efforts
- Plan and implement, in partnership with other team members, major donor cultivation and stewardship events as they occur throughout the year
- Assist in managing the schedule/calendar for the Director of Individual Philanthropy and provide staffing support for donor visits/events, conference attendance, and other travel-related needs as may arise
- Other duties as may be assigned
Experience and Education
Minimum two (2) years experience working in major gifts environment is required, preferably in a non-profit engaged in international work. Bachelor’s degree in associated or applicable field.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills, both oral and written
- Capacity to help identify and qualify HNWI prospects and support key functions in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship donor relationship cycle
- Experience and understanding of the requirements necessary to meet the needs of HNWI donors when building successful long-term relationships
- Productive working in an environment which can require managing multiple tasks and priorities to tight deadlines
- Experience working with/supporting senior staff (scheduling, reporting, logistics, etc.)
- Exceptional organizational skills and superb attention to detail and accuracy in both donor communications and data integrity
- Adept using donor CRM system, such as Donor Perfect or similar package, to advance the goals of a major donor program. Capacity and willingness to learn and enhance new systems.
- Ability to analyze data to answer questions, identify trends, and highlight opportunities for fundraising
- Customer service mindset and solutions-oriented thinking when dealing with both donors and MSI US team members
- Willingness and ability to travel, as needed
- Integrity, respect for confidentiality and passion for our mission
MSI exists to empower women and men to have children by choice, not chance. We are pro-choice and believe it is a woman’s right to choose if, when, and how many children to have. Qualified candidates for this position will unwaveringly support and embrace our belief and mission. Our dedicated professionals are enthusiastic, empathetic and positive. They thrive in an atmosphere of dynamic challenges in their work, are personally motivated to succeed, and enjoy being part of a global team working to make a difference in women’s lives around the world. Confident, resourceful and action-oriented, our people are focused on delivering high-impact programs in collaboration with our donors to ensure our clients around the world receive the highest quality of services.
Team Member Benefits
MSI-US is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive salary and employee benefits, including 5 weeks annual leave, paid maternity leave, employer paid medical benefits, 403(b) retirement plan contribution, and a commuter subsidy program. We support a work-life balance and an individual’s desire to learn beyond the experience gained at work through both personal and professional development and growth opportunities.
Please send your resume, along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line; HR – Development Associate.
For more information about MSI US, please visit our website at www.msi-us.org
For More Information, Visit: www.mariestopes-us.org/