Job Title: Senior Philanthropy Officer
Location: Bay Area, California
Reports to: Director of Individual Philanthropy
Please send your resume along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: HR – Philanthropy Officer.
MSI US promotes Marie Stopes International’s mission to provide sexual and reproductive healthcare to millions of underserved women around the world. MSI US works to advance international reproductive health and rights within this context. This position’s primary responsibilities will be to further MSI’s mission through supporting the individual and institutional philanthropy program and helping to build the base of US major donors.
As the MSI US full-time west coast philanthropy officer you will have the unique opportunity to grow a strong donor community by being our “boots on the ground” in the region. As part of the 10-person MSI US team, you will join a passionate group of professionals who are dedicated to ensuring women around the world have access to high-quality contraception and safe abortion services. In this role, you will work closely with the development team in the Washington, DC office. The majority of your time will be spent developing a robust pipeline of prospects and engaging high-net-worth individuals and family/institutional foundations to successfully cultivate and solicit them to support MSI US efforts to expand our major donor base and increase giving from current supporters. You will also represent MSI US at key industry events on the west coast.
- Work towards a collective team fundraising target of $20 million in 2020, including an individual philanthropy unrestricted target of $3 million
- Build and manage a robust donor portfolio and prospect pipeline
- Develop, implement and execute strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward current and prospective major donors on the west coast
- Support the planning and execution of MSI US west coast cultivation events in partnership with other staff and fundraising consultants
- Prepare written materials including visit briefings, correspondence, grant applications and proposals, stewardship reports and pledge agreements
- Participate in MSI US team meetings
- Communicate our mission, programs and impact to various constituencies, including representing MSI US at relevant meetings and events
Minimum five (5) years successful experience in major gift fundraising, including cultivating, soliciting and stewarding gifts of $10,000 and above from high-net-worth individuals, preferably for a non-profit engaged in international issues.
- Proven track record in, and excited by the challenge of, building up a major donor program and growing revenue through qualifying and closing gifts from new high-net-worth individual donors
- Successful in developing and instituting cultivation and solicitation strategies to engage and increase giving from donors
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of donors to develop deep, meaningful connections with the organization
- Experience using donor tracking systems to advance the goals of major donor programs, and the capacity and willingness to learn new systems
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks at a time
- Integrity, and the comfort and ability needed to gain the trust and confidence of supporters and stakeholders
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment across multiple programs and departments
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills, both oral and written
- Excellent problem-solving skills, strategic thinking, commitment to results, attention to detail, and solutions-oriented
- Willingness and ability to travel, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field
MSI exists to empower women and men to have children by choice, not chance. We are pro-choice and believe it is a woman’s right to choose if, when, and how many children to have. Qualified candidates for this position will unwaveringly support and embrace our belief and mission. Our dedicated professionals are enthusiastic, empathetic and positive. They thrive in an atmosphere of dynamic challenges in their work, are personally motivated to succeed, and enjoy being part of a global team working to make a difference in women’s lives around the world. Confident, resourceful and action-oriented, our people are focused on delivering high-impact programs in collaboration with our donors to ensure our clients around the world receive the highest quality of services.
Team Member Benefits
MSI-US is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive salary and employee benefits, including 5 weeks annual leave, paid maternity leave, employer paid medical benefits, 403(b) retirement plan contribution, and a commuter subsidy program. We support a work-life balance and an individual’s desire to learn beyond the experience gained at work through both personal and professional development and growth opportunities.
For more information about MSI US, please visit our website at www.msi-us.org.
For More Information, Visit: www.mariestopes-us.org/