Western Resource Advocates
Job Announcement: Utah Government Affairs Manager
Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is seeking a Government Affairs Manager that is passionate about Western communities and the protection of the natural environment to support our legislative and administrative advocacy efforts in Utah. This new, mid-level, position will report to the Government Affairs Director and work closely with WRA’s program staff to advance innovative legislative and administrative policy solutions critical to addressing the state’s most pressing conservation challenges. The role will focus first on advancing policies related to climate and clean energy but will expand into WRA’s other issue areas over time. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated and proactive strategic thinker who possesses strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen.
About Western Resource Advocates
Founded in 1989, Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is dedicated to protecting the West’s land, air, and water to ensure that vibrant communities exist in balance with nature. We use law, science, and economics to craft innovative solutions to the most pressing conservation issues in the region within three core program areas: Clean Energy, Healthy Rivers, and Western Lands.
In the face of population growth and climate change, the Western United States needs a strong and effective advocacy voice at the regional level to address changes that are already underway and to steer the West towards a sustainable future. WRA has aggressive plans to tackle these challenges. We envision a future in the West where:
- Western rivers and lakes will have abundant clean water to support habitat for fish and wildlife, communities and agriculture, and world-class recreational opportunities. The Colorado River will flow to the sea;
- Our homes, buildings and transportation systems will be powered by clean energy. The West will prosper in a zero-carbon economy;
- Half of western landscapes and habitat will be protected and connected to support thriving wildlife populations and unparalleled opportunities to enjoy the West’s natural beauty; and
- The West will have clean air and clean water to support healthy communities and vital habitat.
The position is based in WRA’s Salt Lake City office.
- Work collaboratively with WRA’s program and communications staff to develop and implement public policy advocacy efforts with legislative and administrative decision makers in Utah;
- Build relationships with key decision-makers from both political parties, and serve as a liaison between them and WRA staff;
- Effectively communicate complex policy concepts to a diverse set of audiences;
- Identify, recruit, and organize a diverse group of opinion leaders in the state to engage with decision makers to reinforce WRA’s policies and positions;
- Coordinate with WRA’s policy and communications staff to craft tailored messages and talking points for stakeholders to ensure effective advocacy;
- Identify and manage effective coalitions of diverse partners in the region to advance WRA’s priorities;
- In coordination with program staff, read, track, and analyze the potential impact of proposed legislation; and
- Monitor and track relevant state and local policies.
- At least 2-5 years of experience in government affairs, external affairs, communications, organizing, or advocacy campaigns.
- Understanding of, and familiarity with, Utah politics and policy makers, especially as they relate to energy and climate change policies (experience working at the Utah Legislature a plus).
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders to advance public policy objectives with decision makers.
- Ability to apply communication skills to persuade, influence or lead others on complex subjects.
- Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail and follow‐
- Creativity, patience, and a sense of humor.
- Genuine passion for the mission and work of WRA.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary based on relevant experience; the salary range for this position will be provided to applicants invited to an initial interview or upon request. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes health, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) retirement plan, life & disability insurance, 3 weeks paid vacation leave, sick leave, parental leave after one year, and sabbatical leave after five years. Position is full-time exempt.
How to Apply
Applications will only be accepted through WRA’s online portal at https://westernresourceadvocates.org/about/jobs-volunteer-opportunities/wra-application. You will need to upload the following in PDF format through the online portal:
- Compelling cover letter to the attention of Richard Trilsch, Vice President of Finance and Administration, explaining your interest in the position and our organization;
- Any salary requirement; and
- Three references, including at least one former supervisor. (WRA will not contact references without first checking with the applicant.)
Please be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised in your cover letter.
Diversity and inclusion are a critical component of our business strategy, mission and vision. We welcome candidates from an array of backgrounds and experiences to join our team.
Deadline to Apply: June 7, 2019
Western Resource Advocates is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
For More Information, Visit: westernresourceadvocates.org/job-announcement-utah-government-affairs-manager/