Californians Dedicated to Education Foundation’s mission is to work as a trusted partner with the California Department of Education (CDE) and other state education leaders to create, resource and implement solutions that result in a strong and valued public education system that serves all kids. We do this by:
CONVENING people and organizations to develop goals and innovative solutions to improve our state’s public education system.
COMMUNICATING to build awareness and access to key resources.
CATALYZING new approaches to meet statewide goals, assembling and stewarding resources, including philanthropic investments in CDE and others, to invest in the development of innovative ideas and practices that can scale to advance public education.
STEAM Initiatives Summary
The CDE Foundation’s STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics) portfolio includes various statewide partnerships, ranging from science standards implementation to computer science access and focused throughout on equitable, inclusive, and high-quality STEAM education. Our work embraces multi-sector and interdisciplinary approaches that start early and help students and communities build capacity as the workforce of tomorrow. Our largest initiative, the annual California STEAM Symposium, brings together 3,000 Pre-K-12 and higher education teachers, administrators, students, program providers, and philanthropic and industry partners to collaboratively improve inclusive STEAM teaching and learning. Additional information on our STEAM initiatives is provided at the end.
For more information about our programs and work, please visit: www.cdefoundation.org
The STEAM Program Manager will support the growing work of the CDE Foundation’s STEAM initiatives by serving as the primary link between external partners and internal processes of the annual CA STEAM Symposium and other related collaborations. This position will be a unique opportunity to connect with top leaders in STEAM education while building real-time, grassroots awareness of challenges, policy impacts, and trends in the field.
We are seeking a Program Manager with strong communication, partnership, and project management skills, a meticulous eye for detail, a strategic mind capable of big-picture thinking, and a commitment to STEAM education for all students.
The Program Manager will report directly to the Director of STEAM Initiatives and can be based in either the Los Angeles metro area, where the Director of STEAM Initiatives is based, or within commuting distance to our Redwood City headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area. Occasional travel within California will be required.
- Management of STEAM Initiatives activities, with specific focus on California STEAM Symposium.
- Under the supervision of the Director of STEAM initiatives, develop a new professional learning webinar series to be executed in conjunction with key state and local partners.
- Design and carry out comprehensive outreach strategy to deepen and diversify engagement with STEAM-related stakeholders.
- Collect and analyze partner engagement data.
- Coordinate content and participation in other STEAM-related stakeholder convenings.
- Represent CDE Foundation as needed at meetings and events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- California STEAM Symposium:
- Manage planning and execution of several core elements, including Steering Committee, presentation selection process, Makerspace, and Student STEAM Showcase.
- Contribute to content ideation and partner activation planning.
- Lead on-site presence of above elements and others as needed.
- Organizational: Outstanding project management skills and attention to detail, with a proven ability to create and execute complex project plans on time and within budget alongside colleagues and external partners. Process improvement experience a plus.
- Strategic: Ability to think and execute strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into project plans and partner relationships.
- Content Expertise: Knowledge of California public education systems and structures, with background in STEAM and/or professional learning preferred.
- Communication: Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as presentation experience.
- Technology: Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and online cloud systems; web streaming/webinar, social media, and/or graphic design abilities a plus.
- Data Analytics: Experience using Excel for moderate data analytics preferred.
- Problem Solving: Ability to quickly assess issues and opportunities at hand and use sound judgement to determine appropriate course of action.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Skill in managing changing priorities, timelines, and ad hoc requests from colleagues and external stakeholders. Able to work independently and cooperatively in a team setting with our small and dynamic staff, remotely and in person.
- People Savvy: Comfort and skill in communicating and interacting with a range of stakeholders, including off-site staff, board members, donors, external vendors, and partner organization leadership. Proven track record of successful partner relationship management and collaboration.
- Mission and Values Alignment: Desire to work in an organization that makes a positive difference, particularly in California public education. Commitment to far-reaching, equitable, and inclusive impact. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, feedback-driven, and learning environment.
- Preparation: At least 3-5 years work experience in non-profit, education policy, public administration or related field. Bachelors degree strongly preferred, with graduate degree or equivalent experience a plus.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive with other nonprofits and commensurate with experience. CDE Foundation provides benefits through TriNet HR Corporation, a professional employer organization. CDE Foundation pays 100% of employee premiums for medical, dental and vision.
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 17, 2019.
Californians Dedicated to Education Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants who contribute to a diverse work environment are strongly encouraged to apply.
California STEAM Symposium (www.steamcalifornia.org)
Now entering its 7th year, the California STEAM Symposium brings together 3,000 Pre-K-12 and higher education teachers, administrators, students, program providers, and philanthropic and industry partners to collaboratively improve inclusive STEAM teaching in schools, alongside the business sector, and throughout communities. Co-hosted by the California Department of Education, the CDE Foundation, and the California Commission on the Status of Women and Girls, the California STEAM Symposium leverages practitioner expertise, collective impact, and continuous improvement for the benefit of all students. We believe in the power of peer-led professional learning, that innovation can emerge from anywhere at any budget, and in leading by listening to voices from the field. Over the past six years our approach has evolved to address state policy shifts and connect all stakeholders in the education landscape from over 30 states and international locations.
For More Information, Visit: bit.ly/STEAMHire