Western Resource Advocates
Job Announcement: Clean Energy Policy Associate, Analyst, or Senior Analyst, Nevada
Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is seeking an Energy Policy Associate, Analyst, or Senior Analyst to develop and advocate for policies and mechanisms that reduce the environmental impact of electricity production in the Interior West. As the primary analyst for WRA’s Clean Energy Program work in Nevada, the Energy Policy Associate, Analyst, or Senior Analyst role is an exciting opportunity to shape state-level energy policy and build our clean energy future. This position will report to the Clean Energy Program Deputy Director and will work closely with our Staff Attorneys in Nevada.
***About Western Resource Advocates***
Founded in 1989, WRA is dedicated to protecting the West’s land, air, and water to ensure that vibrant communities exist in balance with nature. We use law, science, and economics to craft innovative solutions to the most pressing conservation issues in the region within three core program areas: Clean Energy, Healthy Rivers, and Western Lands.
In the face of population growth and climate change, the Western United States needs a strong and effective advocacy voice at the regional level to address changes that are already underway and to steer the West towards a sustainable future. WRA has aggressive plans to tackle these challenges. We envision a future where:
- Western rivers and lakes will have abundant clean water to support habitat for fish and wildlife, communities and agriculture, and world class recreational opportunities;
- The Colorado River will flow to the sea;
- Our homes, buildings, and transportation systems will be powered by clean energy;
- The West will prosper in a zero-carbon economy;
- Half of the West’s landscapes and habitats will be protected and connected to support thriving wildlife populations and to preserve the unparalleled opportunities to enjoy the West’s natural beauty; and
- The West will have clean air and clean water to support healthy communities and vital habitat.
WRA’s Clean Energy Program works to reduce the environmental impacts of electricity production in Nevada and the rest of the Interior West by fostering a transition away from fossil-fueled resources towards renewable energy, energy efficiency, and other clean energy technologies, with a primary focus on reducing the power sector’s contribution to climate change.
The position is based in Carson City, Nevada, or Las Vegas, Nevada. For candidates located in Las Vegas, frequent travel to Carson City will be required.
- Develop and advocate for policies and mechanisms that reduce the environmental impact of energy production in the Interior West.
- Represent WRA in regulatory, legislative, and other policy forums, including through written and oral testimony.
- Provide counsel and strategic advice regarding state and federal energy regulation and administrative law.
- Prepare pleadings and testimony for adversarial proceedings.
- Negotiate and draft complex settlement agreements.
- Assist with guidance of outside expert and legal consultants.
- Work directly with the region’s electric utilities, business community, consumer advocates, environmental community, and other stakeholders to advance clean energy.
- Collaborate with WRA’s Clean Energy Program and Communications staff to produce and disseminate materials that effectively communicate our mission, goals, and the results of our work to external audiences.
- Monitor and track relevant state and federal policy developments.
- 2+ years (associate), 3+ years (analyst), or 5+ years (senior analyst) of experience working on electricity regulation issues; a relevant advanced degree may count toward years of experience.
- A personal commitment to a cleaner environment and sustainable energy future.
- A professional degree or equivalent work experience in economics, business, public policy, utility resource planning, engineering, utility ratemaking, or related disciplines.
- Strong written and oral communication abilities.
- Comfort and skill in communicating with a variety of policymakers, constituencies, and audiences.
- Experience testifying as an expert witness before state public utility commissions is desirable.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate effectively with a variety of stakeholders.
- Genuine passion for the mission and work of WRA.
- Willingness to travel 10% of time.
***Salary and Benefits***
Competitive salary based on relative experience; the salary range for this position will be provided to applicants invited to a first round interview. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes health, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) retirement plan, life & disability insurance, 3 weeks paid vacation leave, sick leave, parental leave, and sabbatical leave after five years.
***How to Apply ***
Applications will only be accepted through WRA’s online portal at https://westernresourceadvocates.org/about/jobs-volunteer-opportunities/apply-work-wra. You will need to upload the following in PDF format through the online portal:
- Compelling cover letter to the attention of Richard Trilsch, Vice President of Finance and Administration, explaining how your qualifications match the needs of the position and your interest in WRA;
- Any salary requirement;
- A writing sample (written testimony if possible); and
- Three references, including at least one former supervisor, with contact information and a brief description of your relationship. (WRA will not contact references without first checking with the applicant.)
Please be sure to mention in your cover letter where you saw the job advertised.
***Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled***
Western Resource Advocates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
For More Information, Visit: westernresourceadvocates.org/about/jobs-volunteer-opportunities/