About Western Resource Advocates
Founded in 1989, Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is dedicated to protecting the West’s land, air, and water to ensure that vibrant communities exist in balance with nature. We use law, science, and economics to craft innovative solutions to the most pressing conservation issues in the region within three core program areas: Clean Energy, Healthy Rivers and Western Lands.
In the face of population growth and climate change, the Western United States needs a strong and effective advocacy voice at the regional level to address changes that are already underway and to steer the West towards a sustainable future. WRA has aggressive plans to tackle these challenges. We envision a future in the West where:
- Western rivers and lakes will have abundant clean water to support habitat for fish and wildlife, communities and agriculture, and world class recreational opportunities. The Colorado River will flow to the sea;
- Our homes, buildings and transportation systems will be powered by clean energy. The West will prosper in a zero-carbon economy;
- Half of western landscapes and habitat will be protected and connected to support thriving wildlife populations and unparalleled opportunities to enjoy the West’s natural beauty; and
- The West will have clean air and clean water to support healthy communities and vital habitat.
WRA’s Clean Energy Program works to reduce the environmental impacts of electricity production in the region by fostering a transition away from fossil-fueled resources towards renewable energy, energy efficiency, and other clean energy technologies, with a primary focus is on reducing the power sector’s contribution to climate change.
WRA is seeking a Staff Attorney who is passionate about Western communities and the protection of the natural environment to represent WRA’s Clean Energy Program in New Mexico. This position is ideally suited for an attorney with 3-5 years of experience with electric utilities and administrative law, with an interest in environmental and clean energy issues. The position provides an exciting opportunity to shape state-level energy policy and build our clean energy future. Reporting to the Clean Energy Program Deputy Director, the Staff Attorney will manage a robust docket of rulemaking and litigated proceedings at the New Mexico Public Regulation Commission (NMPRC) while also assisting in WRA’s legislative and stakeholder advocacy efforts.
The position is based in WRA’s office in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Represent WRA as an attorney and policy advocate in proceedings before the NMPRC, courts, legislative bodies, and other forums.
- Manage WRA’s energy regulatory work in New Mexico.
- Provide counsel and strategic advice regarding state and federal energy regulation and administrative law.
- Prepare pleadings and testimony in adversarial proceedings.
- Negotiate and draft settlement agreements.
- Assist with guidance of outside experts and legal consultants.
- Work with regulated utilities, regulators, consumer advocates, environmental advocates and other electric industry stakeholders.
- Work with WRA’s Communications and Government Affairs teams and consultants to develop communication and political strategies to advance WRA’s objectives.
- Monitor and track relevant state and federal policies.
- D. degree from ABA accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in New Mexico.
- An understanding of current issues in energy regulation and policy.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage a deadline-driven docket of regulatory litigation.
- Superior teamwork and analytical skills.
- Strong collaborative/negotiating skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Willingness to travel 10% of time.
- Genuine passion for the mission and work of WRA.
- A background in economics, engineering, business, public policy and/or utilities is a plus, but not required.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary based on relative experience; the salary range for this position will be provided to applicants invited to a first round interview. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes health, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) retirement plan, life & disability insurance, 3 weeks paid vacation leave, sick leave, parental leave, sabbatical leave after five years.
How to Apply
Applications will only be accepted through WRA’s online portal at https://westernresourceadvocates.org/about/jobs-volunteer-opportunities/wra-application-portal-a. You will need to upload the following in PDF format through the online portal:
- Compelling cover letter to the attention of Richard Trilsch, Vice President of Finance and Administration, explaining how your qualifications match the needs of the position and your interest in WRA;
- Any salary requirement;
- A writing sample of no more than 10 pages; and
- Three references, including at least one former supervisor, with contact information and a brief description of your relationship. (WRA will not contact references without first checking with the applicant.)
Please be sure to mention in your cover letter where you saw the job advertised.
Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled
Western Resource Advocates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
For More Information, Visit: westernresourceadvocates.org/job-announcement-clean-energy-program-staff-attorney-new-mexico/