DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
GLOBAL HEALTH CORPS
||New York-New York City
||Feb 15, 2019
The Communications Director plays a key role in stewarding and amplifying GHC’s presence in the wider world, and is responsible for leading the communications team to ensure powerful, authentic, and consistent communications across all platforms. GHC is looking for a visionary and collaborative communications leader who can deliver big results and help to build the capacity of others to do the same. The Director will play a central role in supporting GHC’s mission of movement building by increasing GHC’s global visibility and by supporting the emergence of strong leadership voices for change among the GHC community. The Director will lead a small but mighty communications team and report to the Senior Vice President of Programs. S/he will work closely with the CEO and the senior leadership team to ensure first-rate communications across a number of platforms and issues.
Global Health Corps
Global Health Corps (GHC) is building a new generation of global health leadership. We believe that solving the world’s most pressing global health challenges requires better and more connected leaders who are able to work across traditional boundaries like geography, sector, and issue area to engineer stronger global health systems. We need more than clinicians and providers; we need management consultants, engineers, artists, and architects. We need new leadership voices and new perspectives, especially those representing the populations most often left out and unheard.
GHC competitively recruits and selects emerging leaders from around the world who represent a wide range of skillsets and areas of expertise, all of which are critical to rebuilding and strengthening health systems. GHC is developing a cadre of health equity leaders through a unique leadership development program that utilizes experiential and formal learning methods.
Through a one-year fellowship program, fellows address a wide-range of health issues with high-impact grassroots organizations, NGOs, and ministries of health in Rwanda, Malawi, Uganda, Zambia, and the United States. Fellowship positions are demand-driven, ensuring that our fellows fill real-time health systems gaps and serve to amplify the great work already in progress. Placement organizations benefit from the skills and energy of fellows, as well as the support of GHC. We are building a network of young changemakers who share the common belief that health is a human right.
- Lead development and execution of GHC’s communications strategy to support organizational goals and strategic priorities. This includes:
- Create compelling and effective key messages to form the backbone of all external communications
- Oversight of all GHC digital and social channels, including the AMPLIFY publication
- Ensure vibrant visual and design in alignment with GHC brand guidelines
- Strategic media coverage to drive visibility in GHC countries of operation
- Ensure excellence, clarity, and consistency of voice across all GHC communications and platforms
- Strategic engagement in global, regional, and local conferences and events to build thought leadership, visibility, and amplify GHC community voices
- Development of a range of strong external content (annual report, etc.)
- Support CEO communications through strong talking points and effective coaching
- Liaise with GHC’s Fundraising Team to ensure compelling and story-driven communications to donors
- Liaise with GHC’s Program Team on advocacy- and communications-related curriculum for fellows and alumni, providing program design input and facilitation as needed
- Thoughtfully engage team members across all GHC countries of operations to ensure a globally representative and inclusive GHC voice
- Provide ad hoc communications mentorship to fellows and alumni
- Manage the Communications Team
- Contribute to an enthusiastic, inclusive, and results-driven environment at GHC
Minimum Experience Requirements:
- 8-10 years leading and executing communications in the social impact space, or comparable experience; global experience highly preferred
- Demonstrated track record of excellence in written and verbal communications, including experience engaging with a wide range of audiences.
- A passion for collaboration across teams and countries, with demonstrated skill to do so, and a deep commitment to being an amazing boss.
- Commitment to and passion for GHC’s mission.
In addition, the ideal candidate:
- Is a truly gifted communicator. You believe in the power of voice to drive positive change and you love finding the best way to share the right message with the right audience at the right time. You are a word nerd and love the great possibilities of language. You can write like a boss, edit like a boss, and most importantly, build the capacities of others to do the same. Even friends come to you to help them draft hard emails or cover letters, and you are known for being able to come up with a better way to say almost anything at all.
- Is a hustler with the goal always in sight. You are results-oriented and are excited to be ready for anything. You enjoy working on many things at once and exel under pressure – you can pretty much always get the job done, and kill it. You are a go-getter who doesn’t wait for permission to get started. You don’t mind learning on the go if the situation demands it; you can write a UN-style speech for a CEO, edit an alum’s op-ed, design the flow of a strong annual report, and successfully pitch a journalist all in one day.
- Loves to get creative and pivot. You have a healthy respect for process and an understanding of priorities, but you love to brainstorm, get creative, and try new things when the situation allows. You are openminded and inclusive of the creativity of others, fostering it in cross-team and cross-country collaboration.
- Is a polished relationship manager. This person remembers names and faces, whether it’s fellows and alumni or journalists and event producers. You are passionate about listening to people, understanding their needs, and finding ways to move them to action in support of something bigger. You like to stay in touch with your people and know what it takes to build and steward a strong and productive partner relationship. You are always on point – ready to represent GHC and talk about our movement in a compelling way.
- Is a stickler for details and deadlines. You are a gifted project manager in that you can ensure an excellent outcome or output on time, and work to motivate colleagues across teams and external partners in order to get there. A typo never eludes you. A detail rarely escapes you. You take pride in hitting the mark and in precision, whether the stakes are high or low.
- Passionate about bringing more voices into global conversations. You have an understanding of the largely white, western, male-dominated field in which we work, and you are driven to diversify that landscape. You are excited to hear more from new voices, and help those voices become as strong, clear, and powerful as they can be. You are committed to leveraging platforms to create new spaces and to passing the mic.
- Is a leader. You handle yourself with poise, knowing when to ask for help, seek support, and when to take responsibility at challenging moments. You are a team player and are committed to your own leadership growth as you are to others’.
GHC EMBRACES AND VALUES DIVERSE SKILLSETS AND BACKGROUNDS
We are a community of leaders who are proud to represent many different national, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, religious, gender, and other identities. We represent varied professional backgrounds, collaborating across fields and sectors to form a powerful, close-knit network of changemakers. Our diversity as a community is our strength, driving our ability to be empathetic, visionary, and effective leaders in the health equity movement, and engage with the world with dignity and respect.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thanks for applying!
For More Information, Visit: jobs.lever.co/ghcorps/5fb3cb14-2232-4b9b-a8fd-a177d175fc36
|HOW TO APPLY
|To prevent spam, free registration is required in order to view job application information on Nonprofit Careers. If you've already registered, login to view details.
Register/Login View More Jobs