COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING DIRECTOR
WESTERN RESOURCE ADVOCATES
||All Region - West I (AZ CO ID MT NM NV UT WY)
||Jan 17, 2018
|Founded in 1989, Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is dedicated to protecting the West’s land, air, and water to ensure that vibrant communities exist in balance with nature. We use law, science, and economics to craft innovative solutions to the most pressing conservation issues in the region within three core program areas: Clean Energy, Healthy Rivers and Western Lands.
In the face of population growth and climate change, the Western United States needs a strong and effective advocacy voice at the regional level to address changes that are already underway and to steer the West towards a sustainable future. WRA has aggressive plans to tackle these challenges. We envision a future in the West where:
* Western rivers and lakes will have abundant clean water to support habitat for fish and wildlife, communities and agriculture, and world class recreational opportunities. The Colorado River will flow to the sea;
* Our homes, buildings and transportation systems will be powered by clean energy. The West will prosper in a zero-carbon economy;
* Half of western landscapes and habitat will be protected and connected to support thriving wildlife populations and unparalleled opportunities to enjoy the West’s natural beauty; and
* The West will have clean air and clean water to support healthy communities and vital habitat.
WRA seeks an experienced Communications & Marketing Director who is passionate about Western communities and the protection of the natural environment to build and lead our communications and marketing efforts. This senior-level position provides a unique opportunity to develop focused strategies capable of building support for conservation solutions among diverse audiences throughout the region. Reporting to the Vice President of Programs and Strategy, the Communications & Marketing Director will oversee a growing team of three communications professionals and work with partners to identify emerging threats, leverage opportunities, and advance policy solutions. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated strategic thinker who thrives in a collaborative environment.
The position can be based in one of WRA’s offices in Boulder, Carson City, Salt Lake City, Santa Fe, or remotely in any Intermountain West state with easy access to a major airport as travel (20%) is required.
Policy Advocacy & Strategy
* Work with the VP of Programs and Strategy and Program Directors to develop and execute communications strategies that advance WRA’s strategic plan and policy objectives;
* Collaborate with WRA program staff and external partners on the creation of audience-appropriate messages, recruitment of influential constituencies and effective use of communications tactics;
* Supervise the work of the Earned Media Manager, including the development of annual work plans and performance reviews;
* Build relationships with key media outlets and oversee the execution of earned media initiatives;
* Develop and implement online strategies to achieve conservation goals, including the use of social media, video and other tools;
* Provide coaching to program staff in their efforts to communicate effectively with the organization’s membership, media, key constituencies, and the broader public;
* Work with program staff to produce technical reports, including providing substantive feedback, editing, audience identification, and design and production oversight;
* Develop and oversee annual Communication budget;
* Maintain high quality standards for all external communications; and
* Draft grant proposals and reports for communications activities.
Marketing & Development
* Work with the President and Director of Development to build WRA’s brand and help to create and distribute materials supporting constituent outreach;
* Work with the Director of Development to plan, design, and implement online strategies to achieve development goals, including the use of social media, video and other tools;
* Supervise the work of the Email & Digital Marketing Specialist and Digital Communications Coordinator, including the development of annual work plans and performance reviews;
* Ensure that WRA’s website is well structured, engaging and current;
* Create and build a robust online presence for WRA through the organization’s website, use of social media, issue blogs, video and other interactive multimedia tools;
* Build and maintain email outreach and other digital outreach plans to attract new supporters and to inform existing supporters and donors about WRA programs; and
* Ensure that WRA is on the cutting edge of communications practices, incorporating appropriate and emerging tools and technologies.
* Serve as a member of WRA’s Senior Leadership Team;
* Advise on organizational priorities, staff development, diversity, planning all-staff retreats and developing the annual budget; and
* Interact directly with WRA’s Board of Directors, through communications and marketing committee meetings, attend board meetings and provide regular board reports and presentations.
***Job Qualifications ***
* At least 7-years of experience in a communications capacity for a nonprofit advocacy organization, an elected official, and/or private entity required;
* A minimum of 2-years managing high-performing teams in multiple locations;
* Demonstrated success using a variety of communications tactics to persuade and influence diverse audiences on complex subjects;
* Familiarity and expertise working with social and online media tools, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and email engagement;
* Experience producing compelling communications products and collateral, including press releases, web content, reports, video, speeches, etc.;
* Fundraising experience preferred. A commitment to actively work with our President and Development Team is required;
* Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail and follow-through;
* Excellent presentation skills;
* Intellectual curiosity; an innovative and entrepreneurial drive; comfort with change and ambiguity; and a strong bias toward action;
* Multi-lingual skills a plus;
* Creativity, patience, and a sense of humor; and
* Genuine passion for the mission and work of WRA.
***Salary and Benefits***
Competitive salary based on relative experience. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes health, dental and vision coverage, a 401(k) retirement plan, life & disability insurance, 3-week paid vacation leave, parental leave, sabbatical leave after five years, and an RTD EcoPass for staff based in the Boulder/Denver area. Position is full-time exempt.
***Deadline to Apply: February 9, 2018***
Western Resource Advocates is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
For More Information, Visit: westernresourceadvocates.org/about/jobs-volunteer-opportunities/job-announcement-communications-marketing-director/
|HOW TO APPLY
|To prevent spam, free registration is required in order to view job application information on Nonprofit Careers. If you've already registered, login to view details.
Register/Login View More Jobs